Monday, September 18, 2006

Provincetown


lighthouse ptown, originally uploaded by farmboyz.

This is a detail from a much larger plein air painting of mine that is mostly sky and dune. I dragged my stuff over the breakwater that day and set up among the horseflies, poison ivy and naturists. The light changed. I never returned to finish it. Summer ended, and we sold our house on Pearl Street. Now, on the first chilled mornings of this new/old season, when I walk by this picture with a mug of coffee in hand, it dutifully brings me back there, and softens the fact that for the first time in many years, a summer has gone by and I was not in Provincetown even once.

3 comments:

dpaste said...

That's really lovely. I have no skill in that area.

Mark said...

sigh.

richard said...

is that highland light, because there's no lawn at race point or long point?