Thursday, January 31, 2008

Martial Law

At Slammers last week, a grinning fireplug (coarse red hair and freckles) urged me on.

I grabbed his shoulders and moved him back to arm’s length, saying

Cum dicis ‘Propero, fac si facis,’ Hedyle, languet
Protinus et cessat debilitata Venus.
Expectare iube: velocius ibo retentus.
Hedyle, si properas, dic mihi, ne properem.


I like the James Michie translation.

When you say, ‘Quick, I’m going to come,’
Hedylus, I go limp and numb.
But ask me to hold back my fire,
And the brake accelerates desire.
Dear boy, if you’re in such a hurry,
Tell me to slow up, not to worry.

4 comments:

R J Keefe said...

Why not record that, as a PodCast?

Tony Adams said...

I've been considering formats like that. Maybe I will. Time, dear.

Homer said...

I love redheads. And latin (I was in Latin club).

M. Knoester said...

*pats her own back for recognising Martial*

Please record it, I would love to hear you read it.