Wednesday, January 23, 2008

PART time

I've received email from a few friends expressing their disappointment over my going back to work (referenced in a previous post). It seems that my eschewing the workplace has been enviable to many. Here is my assurance that my soon-to-commence return will be part-time.

The delightful aspect of this is that my new employer found me via this little boutique of a blog. An anonymous reader invited me to consider a possible affiliation with a New York City based, well established, rather prominent and private foundation. They were seeking someone to write their web content, and also to act as "writing coach" for their staff. I came close to not responding to his message, suspicious that it was not on the level. When he suggested lunch, I talked it over with C and came to a "why not/nothing to lose" conclusion. I was worried that the guy might be a stalker or might have some ulterior motive for meeting. These concerns evaporated when I met him in person, over lunch, and during the subsequent interviews with the foundation's president and staff. All charming, friendly and intelligent. And what a luxury to join a team that already knows the basic details of one's personal life. No need to reassume the veil I wore constantly for the past twenty-five years. Also, appreciative of my Floridian inclinations, they have tailored my presence among them to allow for ample time down here in Braindeadlia.

I won't be detailing this venture herein. Contrary to what some of you presume, this blog is not a drawerfull of total disclosure. I do have secrets, and besides, I have always given the words that walk out of me license to compose their own realities and opinions. You'd never be sure about what's real or Memorex. I am simply looking forward to flying north for a week of this and am not at all thinking of it as work.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Tater said...

I am happy you have found something to channel your abundant energy into. Knock em dead, gorgeous.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Rey D said...

Does this mean you will not have the time to build the Monastery? I was gettig ready to quit my job!

10:22 AM  
OpenID michaepf said...

Somehow I didn't think that you'd be returning to the grind... I should be back in Florida for Memorial Day. Any chance that you (and C?) will be available for lunch or dinner?

11:15 AM  
Blogger circleinasquare said...

Oh!
Well, that's different.
*replaces Father Tony totem in shrine*
:-)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Cooper said...

As I have written before, a blog is not a person. It contains only the parts we wish to share. I am thankful for those parts, and happily gather the gifts of the given.

All best in your new adventure!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

tony! NO!!!! please, please, PLEASE don't tell me you've had thoughts like "what shall i do with myself without work??" say it's not so, please. :(

if it's not so, congrats on being singled out as a grand writer and one who can certainly serve as a mentor to baby writers everywhere. me too.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Y | O | Y said...

Secrets? I'm great at keeping secrets! :)

10:48 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Alright then, it's like a hobby/job. Don't forget to bring a coat, lol.

7:23 AM  
Blogger evilganome said...

Part time, doing something you enjoy is completely different. I will now resume my former shade of emerald and silently continue to curse you for your forethought and planning as I toil away.

10:39 AM  
Blogger farmboyz said...

Dear Evilganome,
Don't envy me for planning! This came out of nowhere. I sure wasn't looking for work.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Stash said...

It's gonna be jarring coming back from sunny Florida.

This past weekend I was hibernating in my hobbit-hole. 10 degrees F on Sunday evening.

Hobbits and snow don't mix.

Memo from me to God: it's only January. Make time go faster. Hurry up!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home