Saturday, August 30, 2008

Four years

For exactly four years, I have said herein anything I have wished to say.

With no specific direction, goal or purpose, I started doing Perge Modo not as a service to others but as a service to myself.

I have learned that through the activity of writing in this format, a person can learn an awful lot about himself. It's like applying finger paint to a mirrored image of one's face and wiping it off the glass knowing you'll sit down and do it again tomorrow with slightly different results. Some colors get caught in the crevices of the frame. I don't notice this build-up, but you, the reader, see it, and begin to make an assessment about my character based on the accumulation of what I have not cleaned up. What I have unintentionally left behind. You find the coins in the sofa. The hair in the brush. The sock in the dryer. And you begin to know me despite the veil or the soft lighting.

I've enjoyed the truth and fiction and mystery and fun of it all. Most of all, I have enjoyed meeting all of you.

I can't think of any good reason to stop doing this.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased to read that you'll be sticking around -- many happy returns :)

dantallion said...

Well happy anniversary! My four-year was in June.

Four years in Blogdom...that's like 212 in human years, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Me too.
As you know, I enjoy reading you, despite our divergent opinions.
You are a gifted writer.
Now, if only it were all ad majorem Dei gloriam! :)

Anonymous said...

I've only been reading for about a year, but you have made it very exciting for a strange english girlie to read about your wonderful life. xx

P.s you have some BEAUTIFUL furniture!!

evilganome said...

Congratulations on your fourth year. I am very happy to hear that you will continue to delight and sometimes perplex us all.

Ray said...

Happy Blogoversary Father!

I've been blogging for a few months and find it mostly rewarding though not as reward as poetry or fiction which (I think, in all modesty) I am better at.

M. Knoester said...

Happy Blog Birthday, Father T.

Anonymous said...

Padre,
Reading your blog over the years, like going to confession, always inspires me, my musings to be a better man. To another year of services.
Corbett

Tony Adams said...

Dear Shavings,
I'm always amazed when long time visitors announce themselves. So I went to your site and found it to be enviably attractive. The look of it. The feel of it. I'll be back, and at the front door loudly.