Saturday, January 17, 2009

Michelle Obama's gown

This is what I would put her in. I was aiming for youthful/sexy/elegant. I think she should go with the "column" rather than the "flow". She has the body for it. I think she ought to emphasize her shoulders. I think a low neck line is better than a scoop or something higher which might be too "suit-of-armor". I think she will opt for the high waist which is something she seems to like and favors. I think the halter should be soft and gathered. Maybe shear over silk. The sheath below the waist could be slubbed silk or textured with shimmer. It should not be brocade which would be too heavy. This part has to be fluid and must follow and accentuate her movements. Overall, the color ought to be sapphire or cobalt or some mingling of sapphire, cobalt and teal. The jewelry ought to be delicate to counter her muscularity. Could be diamonds or marcasite. (I hope she doesn't do the big pearls). I think this tanzanite and diamond necklace from Tiffany & Co. would be fine. At the transition between the top and bottom parts of the gown, I've left the possibility for a thin blue satin cord/sash and even a space under the left bosom for one of those brooch/applique thingies she likes but she'd do better without.

I think the revelation is scheduled for Tuesday. I'm guessing she'll choose something by Maria Pinto.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

she does have that whole badonk-a-donk-butt to contend with. Not sure if this would be he most flattering silhouette.

Tony Adams said...

Dear Anonymous:
I considered the butt factor, and decided that if necessary, a floor length gathered drape of the same material as the top could be affixed to the top border of the back. I haven't decided if that top line should occur at the shoulder, midback or waist. I'm thinking midback. This would muffle the voice of her butt without looking like a cage.

I spent an hour googling through a number of photos of Michelle. She can definitely handle this line and she seems to like it.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... somehow I picture her in something with sleeves. Nothing as dowdy as Hillary wore, but definitely sleeves.

Tony Adams said...

But KB, she has such great arms and shoulders.

Rick Bettencourt said...

You've got wonderful taste. Blue would be stunning and a $165,000 necklace...wow!

Tony Adams said...

Dear Rick, with jewelry, I think the trick is to go window shopping at Tiffany for ideas but then find the similar-for-less elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

FT - Perhaps it is my Germanic Puritan heritage peeking through, but somehow I think a sleeveless gown for the first lady is not the taste level we want to present. Even Nancy reagan had ONE sleeve.

Tony Adams said...

I did think about that, KB, and I am guessing Mrs. Obama has too, and that she will decide that it's a new world in which women can be boldly in possession of their sexuality. I think the amount of skin she shows will make a statement one way or the other.

Anonymous said...

So what did you think of her choice? And on a less lighthearted note .... You do realize that you have been singled out to star without your consent in a small screenplay where a lonely man pines for virtual acceptance and real community; and therefore seeks to belittle the actual object of JMG affection and community? Where the win is in this I don't know - but having (long ago) been the desired one in this type of triangle it is never easy for the real friend (object of seething Iago jealously) who effortlessly is part of the desired world. I've been noticing the pattern picking up. I have every confidence in your grace - solely based on what and how you write. Cheers

Tony Adams said...

Dear Michele,
You totally lost me after your first sentence. What on earth are you talking about?

(I thought the WU gown was OK.)

Doralong said...

I'd have much preferred to see her in your creation- the Wu gown left me vastly underwhelmed truthfully. She could have done much, much better.