Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Tomorrow on Bilerico: "Two Oddly Related Letters"

You will have to go to Bilerico tomorrow after 10:30AM for my response to the following:

Dear Father Tony,
I am 22, Columbian and athletic. My English is very good, but sometimes I miss signals and make mistakes. At the gym an old guy was cruising me in the locker room. He followed me everywhere. Then he got angry and came up to me and said “Just so you know. I am not interested in you. You are not my type so you can stop all the attitude.” I didn’t know what to say and I felt bad and angry for the rest of the day. Did I do something wrong just because I did not talk to him?
Wally

Dear FT,
Got any good advice for a guy who is coming out of his closet at 52?
Delayed Debutante

4 comments:

RawForReal said...

I can't wait to hear your answer to "Delayed Debutante."

I've been in and out of relationships for nearly 20 years, and I haven't had the guts to come out to my family yet.

Tony Adams said...

Oh dear, RawforReal.
I focused more on the behavior of such a man once he has launched himself. Your dilemma would be a whole nother post. Email me. I'd like to hear your story.
fathertony@bilerico.com

Birdie said...

Your advice is quite sound for anyone: kindness, politeness, honesty, emotional and physical health, etc.

A good exchange without awkwardness or bluster is infrequent enough to be memorable when it happens. When I was young and partnered, I was approached by a man while I sunned on the beach. He asked if I would like company or would I rather be left alone. I smiled, said I would rather be alone, and thanked him for asking. He smiled and left. It left us both feeling good and with our dignities intact. Decades later, I still remember.

[dave] said...

great advice on bilerico project.