Thursday, February 28, 2008

Remembering Simmie Williams, Jr.

A group of between 100-200 angry community leaders, voracious reporters and bewildered locals gathered at the corner of the 1000 block of Sistrunk Blvd in a downtrodden part of Fort Lauderdale this afternoon to remember young Simmie Williams, Jr. and to call for an end to anti-gay violence.







(Matt Foreman gave me a special video message for the readers of Joe.My.God.)

Michael Emanuel Rajner, the National Community Organizer of NAPWA (National Association of People with AIDS), spoke, and comforted the family of the young man murdered near the location of today's memorial.



Community activist, Waymon Hudson was present.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there. Thank you for posting, that I may know through you, that people showed up to condemn these acts of violence. I have always felt safe in South Florida, and can't count all the times I attended meals at the Floridian. It was just a block away from my frequent AA meetings at Lamda South. I was shocked to hear the news of the bashing that took place there. I must say however, that a man and I, enjoying a frisky stroll on the beach in North Miami Beach, were chased by a group of teens with baseball bats. I was a much faster runner back then, and we both made it to safety. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised that this happened, but at the Floridian? On Las Olas? Isn't this still a rather gay area, or has Wilton Manors laid claim to all the hangouts for our folk?

BigAssBelle said...

i have an internal battle going over whether it is okay to hate the haters. i do. can't help it. i despise them. i think it impedes my spiritual growth but i see shit like this and i don't even care. what kind of god allows this? i will never understand. what a tragedy.