Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Provincetown in Winter

I call this by an obvious name: January Thaw on Bradford Street. I always started too late in the day. The sun was running out and the cold was placing its hand on the back of my neck again. Had to take a photo and finish up back at the house.

january thaw on bradford st

If you go to the end of Commercial Street, you can walk the huge stones of the breakwater out to the end of the cape. In winter those rocks are treacherous with ice, and when you reach the end, the sand is brittle beneath your shoes and what had been lush and dazzling in July is now barren and magnificent.

icy end of the breakwater

Is it conceivable to have loved that town more in winter than in summer?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, beautiful paintings from an area I may never see. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

One: The beach is far more beautiful in the winter than the summer. The severity of the environment is revealed. You never see this in southern latitudes, only in the North.

Two: those paintings are absolutely stunning. I can feel the cold wind and the weak winter sun.

evilganome said...

I too love P'town in the winter, and I am hoping to head out there for a day trip to see friends and just take in the town without tripping over tourists. You really do get to see what the town and what the beach look like. It's magnificent and so are your paintings.

Anonymous said...

I think winter is a master carver, poet and painter and storyteller. It possesses its own symmetry and its own unique beauty. It makes you pause ... breathe more quietly.

I especially like the second painting ... the rocks, the sky, the cold sand. I've been there ... not to P'town, but to another place which wears its winter dress in a similar fashion.

Anonymous said...

I think winter is a master carver, poet and painter and storyteller. It possesses its own symmetry and its own unique beauty. It makes you pause ... breathe more quietly.

I especially like the second painting ... the rocks, the sky, the cold sand. I've been there ... not to P'town, but to another place which wears its winter dress in a similar fashion.

RJ March said...

I've been to Ptown twice-- once in the summer and once in the winter. I much preferred that latter.

Beautiful paintings, no matter the season.

circleinasquare said...

I've only been on the cape in winter, and somehow, never visited Provincetown at all.
I hope to remedy that this summer.

Mark said...

though i love the bleak winter scape, i can't wait for august.

i'm just a peasant.